September 26, 2021
Recipe: Saucy crockpot taco meat
This Crockpot Taco Meat is slow cooked to saucy perfection. Not too dry, not too drippy and all of the right spices to make taco night something to celebrate.
One of the easiest weeknight meals just became even easier! Making taco meat in the crockpot takes a bit of time but requires virtually no attention.
The slow cooked ground beef becomes so tender and flavourful, with a unique luxurious texture. It’s not too dry, nor is it too wet…no one likes an extra drippy taco!
However, most importantly the depth of flavour in this taco meat is second to none. The warm taco spices mingle with the ground beef and prepare your mouth for the brief hit of spicy heat.
6 hours 10 min
- 1/2 medium onion; diced
- 2 cloves garlic; minced
- 1/2 tbsp ground chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp ancho chile powder (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- Saute the diced onion in olive oil until it softens and becomes translucent.
- Add the minced garlic, chili powders, cumin, and cayenne and saute for a few more moments, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and scrape the aromatics and spices into the bowl of a crockpot.
- Stir in the rest of the seasonings (chili flakes, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Add ground beef (chicken or turkey) and break it up as much as you can.
- Pour in the salsa and mix well.
- Cover and set crockpot on low setting. Cook for 6 hours, stirring occasionally if you can.
You can find the full post for this recipe, including more great photography, on Dish ‘n’ the Kitchen.