April 11, 2022
Issues & Insights
Reporting sick or dead birds in Alberta
With highly pathogenetic avian influenza (HPAI) detected in wild and domestic birds in provinces across Canada, authorities are asking members of the public to report sick or dead birds.
It’s especially important to report:
- Clusters of dead waterfowl (ducks, geese, swans) or other water birds (loons, shorebirds, wading birds).
- Any number of raptors or avian scavengers (e.g. ravens, crows, gulls).
- Illness involving raptors, waterfowl, or avian scavengers.
- Mortality event involving any species of birds exceeding 20 animals.
If you encounter a sick or dead bird, report it. Contact:
- The nearest Alberta Environment and Parks Office – 310-0000 (this number will provide redirect to appropriate office). OR
- Alberta Environment and Parks Outreach Services: Call Toll Free Alberta: 310-3773