July 10, 2022
Recipe: Classic Sweet and Sour Pineapple Meatballs
Oven-roasting the meatballs instead of pan-frying leaves you free to make the sauce. The meatballs can be assembled the night before, if you wish so you can just pop them in the oven when you get home from work. The sauce can also be made ahead. Serve Classic Sweet and Sour Pineapple Meatballs with cooked rice or rice noodles and snow peas.
Also try: Healthy Taco Salad!
- 1 lb medium ground beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup dry breadcrumbs
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 can (398 mL/14 oz.) pineapple chunks
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 sweet green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley (optional)
- In a large bowl gently combine beef, egg, Dijon mustard, milk, breadcrumbs and salt. Shape into 1-inch (2.5 cm) balls, placing on foil or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Roast meatballs in 400°F oven, turning once, until golden brown for 15 to 20 minutes or until digital rapid-read thermometer inserted into centre of several meatballs reads 160°F (71°C).
- Meanwhile, in bowl, whisk together pineapple chunks, cornstarch, soy sauce, 1 cup (250 mL) water, brown sugar and ketchup. Set aside.
- In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add green pepper, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in pineapple mixture and cooked meatballs to pot. Cook, stirring until sauce is thickened, about 7 minutes. Stir in parsley (if using) and serve.
You can find the full post for this recipe, including make-ahead tips and ideas, from Canada Beef.
Leave a Reply