February 19, 2021
CAJG funding available to complete MELT Class 1
The March 1 deadline is approaching to complete the necessary testing for the Class 1 Mandatory Entry Level Training (MELT) equivalency under the Alberta Transportation farmer and farm worker extension program. Agriculture producers and farm workers who want to take MELT Class 1 training can access funding through the Canada-Alberta Job Grant as of February 18, 2021.
Temporary program changes for Canada-Alberta Job Grant (CAJG)
The following program changes expand eligibility to help businesses access the training they need. These temporary changes are effective from February 18, 2021 until February 28, 2022.
- Eligible trainee now includes employed family members of eligible employers.
- Business owners (incorporated, unincorporated/sole-proprietor and partnerships) with four or fewer employees are now eligible to train themselves.
- Training is no longer required to be incremental.
The following permanent operational changes will make the application process more efficient. These permanent changes are effective as of February 18, 2021.
- Training can start once the application is received by the CAJG.
- Employers may pay for training at any time; however, the training cannot start until all trainee(s) have signed the application and the application is received by the CAJG.
- Course information is no longer required to be listed on the training provider’s website.
- Customized training is eligible.
- Revised list of eligible and ineligible training cost. Please see the Applicant Guide for the full list.