December 5, 2021
Recipe: Cabbage rolls with dill and roasted red pepper
This Cabbage Roll recipe features rice and beef filled cabbage leaves covered in a dill-icious tomato sauce and baked to perfection. Make your own cabbage rolls like a Baba.
1 hour 45 min
- 1 head of cabbage; cored
- 1 750 ml jar passata (tomato sauce)
- 4 garlic cloves; minced
- 1 cup white rice (I used basmati because that’s what I had. You can use long grain too)
- 1/2 cup dried dill
- 3 roasted red peppers; peeled and diced (optional)
- 500 g lean ground beef
- salt and pepper
- Immerse the whole cabbage in a pot of boiling salted water. Remove each leaf once it starts separating from the cabbage and drain.
- In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup passata, 2 garlic cloves, salt, pepper, rice and 1/4 cup dill into the hamburger and mix well
- Add garlic, 1/4 cup dill, diced peppers to the bottle of passata, cover and give a good shake.
- Pour a small layer of passata into the bottom of a 13 x 9 pyrex baking dish.
- If there is still a thick vein at the base of the cabbage leaves, snip it out with a pair of kitchen shears.
- Take a large handful of the ground beef mixture and compress into an oblong meatball shape.
- Place the oblong meatball just above where you snipped out the thick vein, fold the sides over and begin to roll upward.
- Place in baking dish seam side down. Repeat for each roll, leaving a small bit of space in between each in the baking dish.
- Pour the rest of the passata over top of the rolls, filling the dish until just the tops of the rolls are out of the passata. You can add a bit of water if you don’t thing it will be enough.
- Cover with foil and bake for an hour at 350 F.
You can find the full post for this recipe, including more great photography, on Dish ‘n’ the Kitchen.