November 28, 2021
Recipe: Sweet and smokey slow cooker chili
The GetJoyfull household is a happy place for food fans and sports fans alike. Youngest to oldest we all love to watch, play and connect to the sports we love best. In our sporty family, ‘game day eats’ are a big, joyful part of our weekly menu. When we want to gather for the Sunday evening game, or warm-up after street hockey we make one-pot wonders like our “Sweet & Smokey Slow-Cooker Chili” for a guaranteed win! Loaded with sweet bell peppers, smoked paprika and lean Alberta beef this go-to recipe is a triple sensation. It’s satisfaction, energy and comfort all in one bowl!
1-2 hours 20 min
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) white onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 lb (700 g) lean or extra lean ground beef
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) chilli powder
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cans (28 oz) no added salt diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14.5 oz) no added salt kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen corn
- ¼ cup (60 mL) tomato paste
- 4 cups (1 Litre) low-sodium broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a large pot, or instant pot to medium high heat. Add oil, onions and garlic. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes to tenderize onions and get all the aromatics happy.
- Add ground beef to the hot skillet. As it cooks, break apart with a wooden spoon until well crumbled.
- Season with chilli powder, paprika, brown sugar, oregano and crushed red pepper flakes. Continue to cook mixture until beef mixture is fully cooked and lightly caramelized. Add red peppers, cook for another 2 minutes.
- Set heat to low and add the remaining ingredients. Stir well. Cover and allow chilli to simmer for 1-2 hours. If using an instant pot, use simmer function for 1-2 hours. If transferring chilli to a slow-cooker, use low heat and set timer for 1-2 hours. No matter the cooking method, be sure to monitor the liquid level and add splashes of extra water or broth if needed.
- Before serving, taste test and adjust any seasoning, if needed.
- Serve hot and garnish with awesome toppings, such as: fresh chopped cilantro, sliced jalapeño, creamy Greek yogurt, shredded cheddar, diced avocado, fresh lime, tortilla chips etc. Then, enjoy!
You can find the full post for this recipe, including more great photography, on GetJoyfull.
Leave a Reply